Friday, August 05, 2005

24

One of the biggest challenges for me is finding time to get everything done that I need to do during the course of a day. I only have 24 hours to work with so I have to be a good steward of my time. I have to have time to sleep so that's part of my day gone from jump. I wake up at around 6:30 each morning and lie in bed thinking about the Lord for 30 minutes. That usually sets the stage for the rest of my day.

I have to be at work bright and early at 8 am, Monday thru Friday. I get off at 5 or a little after each day. That's another 9 hours gone. I can usually find time during the day for christian message boards and internet searches. Occasionally, I get in the word at different times during the day. When I get off, I usually watch King of the Hill and 2 episodes of The Jamie Fox Show. By this time it's 7 pm and i've had at least an hour or so to unwind.

This is when it's time for me to really be sensitive to the Spirit of God. Because up to this point, I haven't had the opportunity to truly fellowship with the Lord. He's been on my mind and in my heart all day. I've had an opportunity to read a few passages and throw up a couple of prayers, but I haven't given Him the opportunity to have His way with me just yet. That's why it's so important to use the remainder of my evening wisely.

I thank God I don't have cable, so I'm not inclined to channel surf all night long. Many times when I go home and visit my mom on weekends, I spend a lot of my time in front of the big screen. That's how I know I'm not disciplined enough to have cable at the crib.

However, the Lord has blessed me with my own studio. I have the ability to go into The Soup Kitchen and work on music all night. But this isn't always the best use of my time. Sure I can always go and bang out another beat. But that's not always God's will. I can always justify it by claiming that I'm doing the Lord's work, but many times, the Lord hasn't given me any work like that to do. Many times when I'm working on a new volume, I have a desire to get in there and grind. I have a clear focus and direction. I know exactly what needs to be done. But other times, I find myself wasting precious time that should have been spent doing other things.

Jesus told the Church at Ephesus in Rev. 2 that He knew their work. He was aware of all their labor and toil for His name's sake. He knew how much they were hustling trying to be the best Christians they could be. Yet and still, Jesus warned them that they had left their first love, which was Him. Yeah, they were busy doing the work of the ministry. But in all that, they forgot Who they were actually working for. They allowed themselves to lose the close, intimate and personal relationship they once had with Christ.

Because of this, I try to be sensitive to the Spirit of God in my life. There's only 24 hours in a day so I have to use it wisely. I try and make it a point to spend time with Jesus before I seek doing His work. That's the same way Jesus was in His earthly ministry. He made sure He was fed by His Heavenly Father before it was time for Him to feed the multitudes. Therefore, I seek His face daily in prayer. I set aside quality time to spend in His Word. I listen to praise and worship constantly. I don't always feel like doing so, but I've come to the point to where I know it's necessary. I refuse to allow my flesh to ruin my spiritual well being and growth.

God has ordained that there be only 24 hours in each day. He could have given us more time but He didn't. Therefore, we have to make the most out of the little time we have. One day our 24s are gonna run out. We never know when, but we know it's gonna happen one day. Many of us work full time jobs outside of ministry. Many of us have families that demand our attention and time. But in light of all these things, how well do we manage the limited time we have each day? In all of our responsibilities and interests, do we set apart time for Jesus? Do we give Him amply time to have His way in our hearts and lives? Do we set apart time for His work or do we allow "His work" to consume our lives?

God has so much in store for us. He has so many great and wonderful plans for our lives. But He expects us to be faithful with what He's given us. He hasn't blessed us with a ministry so that we can neglect our Him. He hasn't blessed us with a ministry so we can neglect our family. He hasn't blessed us with a family so we can neglect Him or our ministry. We have to find a healthy balance between every aspect of our lives. But Christ has to be the center for there to be a happy median. Christ has to be the wheel inside of the wheel (Ezek 1:16).

Is Christ at the center of your 24s. Do you find time to pencil Him in each day? When you go to sleep each night, can you honestly attest that you've glorified God in your time management? Is He the Lord of your life or the Lord of a couple minutes out of your day? Are you making good use of this 24? If you knew it was your last, would you do anything differently?

1 Comments:

Blogger Asia said...

I love what you wrote and it made me think a lot. I know in my life sometimes life can seem to be out of control and spending time with the Lord is hard. I like that you set time of your day to spend time with the Lord. I pray that you keep doing that. I think it is very important to spend time with HIM and to let HIM work in us. You have encourage me by your words. Thanks

ur sis in Christ
asia aka albraggs from HCR

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home